Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I recently hooked (plug and play) Xenon HID lights in my 2006

Customer Question

i recently hooked (plug and play) Xenon HID lights in my 2006 Explorer Now i can turn my radio on but i don't get any sound. Very confused
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: no sound from my speakers
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my radio will turn on
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: I can change stations, volume indicator show, the head units works fine, but no sound from any speaker
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: did not see any code
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checking fuses, speaker check by freeing pre-set # ***** & 6 at the same time
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: nothing i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If you installed lights, and speakers now do not work, frankly there is one possible cause: something was done wrong in the installation of the lights.But: if the lights are very high-wattage, it might just possibly be drawing too much current or voltage from the battery, and muting the speakers. This is not very likely, but still... well, tell me about the installation of the new lights a bit more. Note: they are HID lamps. Those require a high-voltage 'strike' at the beginning, to light the arc inside them. If that high-voltage pulse got into a car's electrical system even a little, it could blow some fuses. So be sure to check the fuses on your speakers and on the accessory amplifier for them that is often found behind the back seats, and which may have its own fuse in the fuse cluster holder.