Gary
Gary, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 2002 Chevy impala LS, with 'Premium Sound' and a stock

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy impala LS, with 'Premium Sound' and a stock amplifier.
The wiring harness built into the stock speaker is two pairs of two wires, two going to the woofer, and two going to the tweeter.
I bought a pair of coax speakers, and read that you can just cut the stock tweeters off, and the range will be sent to the coax speaker from the first pair of wires.
The install sounded really low, and I had to turn the treble all the way up for it to sound a bit normal.
If I bought a pair of component speakers, with built in crossovers, and wired the first pair of wires to the woofer, and the second pair of wires that feeds the highs to the tweeter, and just ignored the built in crossover, would that fix my issue, or would I install it to the first set of wires, use the built in passive crossover, and ignore the wires that used to feed to the stock tweeter?
I have a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-610C-Component-Type-S-Speaker/dp/B004THAWHG
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Eric
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

hi?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Other.
The answer was a two word greeting "hi eric" which does not begin to address the question in the slightest.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello there,Your factory sound system has a separate channel for each tweeter and woofer.The low pass and high pass filters are inside the the amplifier.Hence why you need to have the individual components connected.I would use a good quality woofer and tweeter combo rated at about 20-30% higher power rating than your factory speakers.If you go too high, the speakers don't get driven hard enough, you get volume but not enough bass.Hope this helps.Gary
.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Would I use the cross overs that come with the speakers, or are they already crossed over from the amp?

Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Eric,The crossovers are in the amp.A crossover is a lowpass/high pass filter combo.You do not need this in this installation.Fit the tweeter on the correct pair, fit the woofer on the correct pair.Same for the other side.Gary