stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

My fiance had a Valor ITS-700W multimedia player sitting around,

Customer Question

My fiance had a Valor ITS-700W multimedia player sitting around, we recently got a 97 ford expedition and she wanted me to install the player for our 4 children. Well all seemed good, got it wired up and went to run it. Player powered up great, remote line powered up our 2 amps fine but when I threw a cd in, no sound whatsoever! Nothing out of any mode on player...she didn't have the manuals, install diagram or controller. I've read online and found issues from shorting speaker wires to rca outputs possibly came disconnected inside unit itself...can anyone help me out here?
Category: Car Electronics
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that there was an aftermarket cd player previously installed along with the 2 amps. The deck was an alpine cdm-7871, the amps that are still installed are both kenwoods. The 4 ch is kac-649s and the sub is kac-729s powering a pioneer premier ts-w2000spl. I'm not sure what the interior mid-highs are, they were previously installed before we bought the truck. The only additions I'm installing are the valor deck and pioneer sub. I'm stumped, I wired the deck like previous alpine, just put new wires in place of previous alpine in original harness and instead of running pink wire from the valor to p-brake, I bridged black negative and pink p-brake together before adapter which connect to factory black/light green striped negative (ground) wire when adapters connected. I'm using the 4 channel rca audio outputs instead of speaker wires from valor's removable harness...
Expert:  Thomas Tullo replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** get any sound out of radio on FM or no sound at all on anything?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No sound from any mode with the Valor
And amps are on?
make sure sub RCAs are in sub out of radio and the other RCAs are in front and rear out put of radio
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes sir. Amps click on with the deck and off with it.
make sure the speaker wires coming out of radio are not touching anything
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The rca Jacks from the unit are still factory labeled. The person she got it from never used it, it just sat around for a while...
It sounds like a bad radio
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The wires are cut off flush, no bare wire protruding from insulation
if one strand touches ground or another speaker wire it will cut sound off
Try resetting the Valor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I need to connect the speaker wires coming out of the unit even if I have the rca outputs hooked up to the amps which run to the speakers?
No
Can you send pic of wires in dash behind radio?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm going to go thru and check wires...do I need to check speaker wiring from the amps also? Will it cause the same problem?
If it was working before you changed radio they should be fine, but yes if something moved and wires are touching it will cut sound off but lets say 1 speaker wire touched it would cut sound from that amp not both amps
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After checking out back of unit wiring I followed the speaker wires from the amp. The previous owner ran the aftermarket wires back to the front dash and tied into the old speaker wires from the audio harness by the in dash amp...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Trying to check all wires under here and try to clean this mess up a lil
Expert:  Thomas Tullo replied 7 months ago.
did you get it going yet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No luck. I went thru all speaker wire, redid all my connections and made sure every spot with any bare wire exposed was wrapped with electrical tape...dont know what the deal is...is ther a way I can check the outputs from the unit that I'm getting correct power if anything @ all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it possibly be the parking brake interlock? I tied it in with the negative ground, that would only cut video on DVD mode, right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also I downloaded the owner manual and it shows a 4 Chan output strings menu that I can't get into, my fiance doesnt have the remote. The pic shows that u can increase the levels of each speaker, could it be that in factory settings mode (which I reset unit to after checking connections) all be set down to 0???
you can use a speaker and hook it up to the outs of the radio and see if you have sound, if you do wiring is wrong if no sound radio is bad, i think radio, just my thoughts
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea I ended up trying just about everything I could think of...including getting frustrated to the point of undoing all the wiring, pulling the unit out & opening it up to check internal condition. After everything it came down to one of your first thoughts...the unit is bad, motherboard fried out in a cpl spots! But thank you for your patience, ideas & helping me for almost a day!
sorry i couldn't help more, hope you could give a good ratting. Thank you