ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Am I really going to have to send my entire radio to Pioneer

Customer Question

Am I really going to have to send my entire radio to Pioneer to fix an issue that never should have happened? I tried installing the most current firmware update from Pioneer onto my 4000nex. Originally the firmware update was greyed out, so I had to ground the parking break wire coming from the unit. The unit then read the SD card information for about 1-2 minutes, and told me to press the on screen option to continue. I followed everything Pioneer said to do, as far as what I did on my computer and the actual stereo. Instead of updating the OS, I received a software error scree, stating I need to contact a Pioneer Dealer or a local service center. I've tried pressing the reset button while the car is off and on, and I have tried unhooking the positive of my battery for several minutes. I can't even eject the SD card because none of the buttons on the unit work.
Category: Car Electronics
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sending the unit to Pioneer and/or taking it to a local service center will NOT be considered a Solution to the problem, as I already know this is the likely option. I'm looking for a way to do this myself. I'm not comfortable with hacking the unit either, as this could damage the unit further and definitely void the warranty. I'm hoping there is a way to reload a functioning OS, possibly via one of the usb in the back, or if there is a way to still get to the SD drive.
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,Yes, in theory you could do this yourself if you have all of the specialist service equipment available.Please let me know what all equipment you have available so I can advise further.Pete.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In the event that this (see links below) is the direction you're going to point me in, that's not going to work. I do have all the necessary tools to remove and re-install the stereo. If there is something that can be done to it without opening the actual unit, I'd be interested to hear more.https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex.htmlhttps://fail0verflow.com/blog/2014/enhancing-the-avic-5000nex-pt2.htmlI don't really know what "specialist service equipment" is, so I'm pretty sure I don't have any! My original understanding was that you work, or worked, for Pioneer...I figured you would either be able to give me a relatively easy way to reload functioning OS and firmware updates, or tell me that I have to send it to Pioneer.
There is no easy solution for this - the firmware must be installed using Pioneer's proprietary equipment. If you don't possess such equipment or files then you cannot do it yourself.
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 7 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not able to fix the unit. I'm going to check some local shops to see if they have experienced the problem.
Ok, let me know if you need anything else at all.Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I contacted JustAnswer to see how I am supposed to respond. While I don't think you did a poor job, your response also did not answer my question adequately. You provided me with information which I was already aware. I don't feel that I should be expected to pay.
That's ok, I am a user of this site, just like you.As far as I am aware, any payment you have made remains in your JustAnswer account and I am paid nothing.Pete.