Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  over 30 years, ARA, Sony, Alpine, Audiovox, Kenwood, Muntz. Sales, Repair & Installation

I have an old '86 325e with an old Clifford alarm that won't

Customer Question

I have an old '86 325e with an old Clifford alarm that won't let the vehicle run. How do I remove this thing so I can drive the car?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 months ago.
.sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.This will depend on the Model Number of the CliffordTypically, the Clifford Alarm Module would be mounted high up, under Driver DashThen you would follow each wire from the Clifford to it's connection at the Factory wireDisconnect the Clifford wire & Insulate / Tape the Factory wire that is exposed.As you follow the wires to the Factory Ignition / Starter wires, be sure NONE of the Factory wires were "cut in half" & connected to a Relay or Clifford wiresIF they were, you will need to "splice" the same color Cut wires back together & Insulate / Tape.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating..Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A..NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better..Rating is very Important to our Service.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you get my follow up message?
I'm sorry........this is all that shows:I have an old '86 325e with an old Clifford alarm that won't let the vehicle run. How do I remove this thing so I can drive the car?.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, the vehicle will start and stay running only if I hold the key in the start position. When I let it go back to the run position, it dies. Does the same thing with a new ignition switch, so the only thing left to interfere is the alarm.
automatic or manual trans?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Originally automatic according to the VIN, but now has a manual trans.
wiring is different from Manual -vs- AutomaticPrior to removing the Clifford, you need to see if the Starter or Ignition wires of the Ignition Switch have been cut in half or spliced into.The problem you described can be a number of thingsIgnition Switch, Ignition Relay/sStarter RelayAdded Relay from the CliffordInternal Relays from the CliffordWhen the Key is turned to "Crank" the Ignition Switch powers the GREEN (Ignition) & BLACK / YELLOW (Starter)When the Key is released the GREEN & VIOLET wires are powered to keep the engine runningIF these wires do not show Voltage + in Crank & ON position, then the Switch is bad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They tapped into the ignition wiring, but didn't cut & splice, then ran wiring over to the alarm. It's a Clifford Matrix RS3.5
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Both green & violet wires have battery voltage in the run & start positions.
IF there are no wires cut in half & the Ignition wires I posted have Voltage, then you will need to test, swap or replace the Relays, as the Ignition Switch engages the Ignition Relays
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So are you thinking possible bad ignition relay?
IF you have Voltage on the GREEN & VIOLET wires when you release from Key "Crank Position" it would likely be one of the Relays or a bad connection
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had already checked the relays and they work fine, so maybe a wiring issue with the alarm
as I stated..........IF there are NO cut wires, the only thing that would come from the Alarm is "Ignition Kill", which would require a Factory wire to be cut in halfIt is doubtful the Clifford Alarm is the cause
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So maybe a cut or loose wire.
yes, as the Alarm would not be an issueBe sure ALL the Spliced in Factory wires where the Clifford connects are all connected at the spliceShould be able to pull on both sides of the splice in the Factory wires to see if they are broken
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll check