Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

When I press the "call button" on my car stereo to try to

Customer Question

When I press the "call button" on my car stereo to try to access the phone book on the car, the screen goes off or goes blank. This also happens when I press the "apps" button. The Audio button which shows the radio stations appears just fine.Please help!
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the Audio button is off to one side from the other two, then the other two might possibly, under the panel, have a short in the switch mechanism, or the metal runs, etc.That would cause the screen to go blank, quite possibly.The other possible cause is, that pressure on the panel/chassis/workings in the approximate location of the CALL or APPS buttons, is causing a poor or semi-broken connection in their region, that powers the screen or is otherwise essential to the screen, to open. A repairman would have to open the car stereo device and examine it, to determine the exact cause. But a question is appropriate about this: do you have to press those two problem buttons hard, to get them to work? and, can you try pressing them very gently, as minimally as possible, to see if lack of pressure means the screen will stay On ?