Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I installed a JVC KD-R862BT car stereo into a 1996 Jeep

Customer Question

I installed a JVC KD-R862BT car stereo into a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It works perfectly, whilst the vehicle is off and when the motor is running. However when I turn the Jeep's lights on, the radio flashes a "Check Wiring" warning and shuts off.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi Blair and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's review the basics first and determine the general issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check for the presence and consistency of an always available +12V on the KD-R862BT's yellow wire;
  • • test for a switched +12V such as from the ACC terminal of the ignition switch on the radio's red wire;
  • • verify that the JVC's black wire is tied to a metal frame, bracket or support and not only to the harness ground line;
  • • test for the speakers' resistances and the integrity of its wires ensuring none has a continuity reading to ground.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louie,
Thanks for your response. I can confirm that items 1, 2 and 4 have been checked and verified. Item 3 I placed a spade connector on the earth wire coming from the JVC harness and inserted it into the female connection of the of the black wire on the Jeeps wiring harness, which supposedly grounds the unit and activates the Infinity speaker system.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Appreciate the post back Blair.

Please bear with me and try grounding the JVC's black wire to the Jeep's body/frame (or even directly to the battery's - terminal even if a spare wire has to be used.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louie,
Did as you requested and connected an earth wire to the Jeeps body frame. Same result, as soon as I turn the lights on I get a miss wiring warning then the radio shuts down
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

With the basics ruled out, then it would be a potential internal hardware issue.

Proposed next try then would be to bench test the JVC KD-R862BT using a (regulated) power supply or a spare battery and even with just 2 speakers.

If still a no-go, then would confirm the internal possibility.

On the otherhand if would work as expected, then we're back to the speaker / wiring.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louie,
apologies for the delay in responding to your last message. Tried the test, as suggested, unit worked as expected. So I guess it is back to a wiring issue. Do you have any other suggestions as to what the issue may be? One thing I did notice, when the the ignition was switched to accessory, the radio sound was crystal clear, when I turned the ignition to on there was a fair level of static mainly coming from the drivers side, once the light switch is activated a warning comes onto the radio screen and then it shuts down
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Blair, appreciate your kind patience with these tests. Let's do a variation of the bench test; with spare/test wires, wire the KD-R862BT's:

• • to the test speaker pair;
  • • join the red and yellow wires and directly connect to the battery's + terminal;
  • • the black to the battery's - terminal;
  • • test run the JVC .

If it works as expected (again):

• • transfer the black from its direct battery - terminal to the harness' ground line;
  • • test again;
  • • if it still work as expected, then do the same for the red wire to the connector/harness;
  • • test again;
  • • if it still work as expected, then do the same for the yellow wire;
  • • test again;
  • • if it still work as expected, then do the same for the speaker wires 1 pair at a time;
  • • test again.