Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Pioneer cdx-fm1287 fm modulated cd changer. I

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer cdx-fm1287 fm modulated cd changer. I installed it successfully in my wife's truck yesterday, but fear it may have suffered from component failure as the unit does not turn on today, even with 12 volts to both the constant and switching power connections. GND is good.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi Chad and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, proposed preliminary try (if have not been done) would be to consider/try a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

If not corrective, then post back with clear closeup pictures of the circuit boards particularly where the 3 power wires enters the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already tried the rest button with no change. I tested the "power" test point on the underside of the board, and got nothing. Attached are 3 pictures. The red and black markings on the power connection indicate power and gnd. Red for 12v.
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Appreciate the post back.

This is interesting; "...tested the "power" test point on the underside of the board, and got nothing..." considering "...with 12 volts to both the constant and switching power connections. GND is good..."

Please try bypassing the power cables and use alligator clips with wires to directly feed the BU and ACC with +12 and the ground to the DCGND1.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Do you have a service schematic that you can send me as well?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

I tried an initial search in my library for the Service Manual / schematics but found only earlier models up to CDX-FM1279; none for the 1287. Let me try again (but may not be that immediate).

If still none, we may have to purchase from my source. Would this be acceptable?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I actually tested all those spots, and they all had power. Except for GND of course.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How much if you have to purchase?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Let me check / send an email to the seller so she can initiate her own search. Previous SMs varies but averages 15US.

Using the schematics for the 1279 as reference, the BU (always available +12V) passes first several regulator/switching transistors triggered on by the ACC+12. Absence of the ACC+12 would not turn these transistors on hence no +3, +5, +6, +8.5.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for checking into that. However, I took it to a local shop that specializes in electronics repair, as I didn't have the schematic for it, but he did.
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

I understand.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.