Sijad H.
Sijad H., Consultant
Experience:  Multitude of experience in vehicle electronics and wiring diagrams.
61965098

I just bought a garmin dash cam 35 about 2 weeks ago. the

Customer Question

i just bought a garmin dash cam 35 about 2 weeks ago. the last couple of days once it gets to about 10min time, it just stops recording. when i get to my destination and turn it off, it turns on, like it powered off. the videos stop at 10 min, and the next video is me parked wherever i was going. however the red light is on and i can see the screen image the whole time, but its not actually recording. any ideas? -- i did put a 64gb sandisk for more memory (fully formatted in the garmin). I also started leaving it plugged to the power outlet 24/7. i made sure to put it in one of the "switched" power outlets so it turns on/off with the car. the power segment works as expected, but always about 10 min in, it just stops recording -- all signs point to it IS recording. thoughts?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Plug the SD card into a computer after the 10 minutes where it turns off and see how much space is left after that 10 minutes. Please let me know your findings.

Also have you connected the dashcam to a computer and see if there are any available updates? I realize it is new, however updates may have came out since the device left the factory.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Sijad -- I formatted the card yesterday afternoon and this morning it started with a clean slate. It powered on as expected when the car turned on and when i got to work and turned the car off, the camera remained powered on - it did not shut down with the car. When i hit the power button to power it down, it actually powered it on and started recording again. Mind you, thru my whole commute, the red light was on and the camera indicated it was recording -- but it was not. i checked the card after the commute and it showed (3) 1 minute videos - and had available space of 59.4GB remaining. is it possible the garmin itself is just faulty?

Yes it is possible the Garmin is faulty, however I just wanted to check a few things to make sure that there isn't something else going on. If its only a few weeks old, I don't know where you purchased it from but you may be able to exchange it. If not you can send it in to Garmin for replacement as it is covered under the on year warranty. To send it in to Garmin, you will need to call(###) ###-####and request an RMA number. They will provide the address to the repair facility as well as the RMA number. Turn around time is usually about 1 week.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry for the delay in replying. i wanted to troubleshoot your idea on doing software updates. i did just that and i think i've got it running as best as it should be. it seems to have resolved the issues for now. i did notice since the update, that instead of a natural over-write of old video, it keeps alerting me that its pretty much completed a full cycle and is about to start deleting older data. when that alert pops up, there is a gap of 95 seconds where its not recording. this happens every 4th video. Here is what it does: [3] sequential 1-minute logs, 95second pause, [3] sequential 1-minute logs, 95second pause, etc. Is that process intended to be that broad? To me its really only recording 75% of the time, which seems out of character. any thoughts on that?

Yes that seems a bit weird. It should record non stop until it has no more room. You can check the setup options, perhaps there is a setting out of whack.