Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Have a 96 Viper the alarm phob seems to be working as it

Customer Question

Have a 96 Viper the alarm phob seems to be working as it turned off the alarm The car will start but dies within a few seconds any ideas help!!!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car had sat for several months in the garage without being started but the battery was not dead, my wife attempted to start the car and it turned over the car seemed to fire for a moment then died. the parking lights and taillights began to flash no horn. Hooked up to jumper cables charged the battery from my Truck for 1/2 hour changed batteries in Phob shut off car alarm no flashing lights, attempted to start the car it will fire run for 20 seconds or so and stop running.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try putting the alarm into Valet Mode - there's a switch or button on the alarm box, just under the dash on the driver's side, and you push or flip that button or switch, briefly, to activate it. That should clear up the trouble for now, *if* the trouble is only the alarm.

(Frankly, I suspect you may have slightly polymerized gasoline, choking up the engine, causing it to stall out/stop. Some STP or similar fuel treatment, plus some fresh gasoline recently pumped, might get rid of that problem.)