Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a zoom 450 Harley. It was working great, however now

Customer Question

I have a zoom 450 for my Harley. It was working great, however now it will not stay powder up. I replace cable and mount. It still does not stay on. Can the internal battery be causing problems as unit is ok direct to usb port. Help
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the ProTech Zoom 450 stays powered On when hooked up to a (power-providing!) USB port, then it is indeed the battery that is the problem.

Rechargeable batteries for electronic devices inevitably fail with time, and with use or with disuse in some cases, to hold enough charge, or to deliver enough power. This happens in from 1 1/4 (or rarely less) to 3 or 4 or so years.

When you replace the rechargeable battery pack inside it, be sure to first, before first using it, charge it up for 6 hours or so. This is needed because replacement batteries usually have been sitting on the shelf for awhile, and an extra time in the charger (even if it indicates it is fully charged up) helps before first usage.