Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Trying to wire radio on 92 ford mustang,the wire colors are

Customer Question

Trying to wire radio on 92 ford mustang,the wire colors are not matching up.two black wires are left over
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

On the 92 Mustang, you should only have a single black wire... and that would be a black/yellow wire that is for the acessory +12v switched.

The best way to install the radio is by evaluating the wires the radio needs - for example, it will have one or more +12V switched wires - connect those - however many there are - to that black/yellow wire. Don't rely on matching up colors - just be sure that you are matching up the wire functions. It will rarely be a one to one connection. It is possible to have wires on the car that are not used. It is also possible to have two or more wires from the radio connected to a single wire on the car. It just depends on what the head unit needs.