Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I purchased the Pioneer AVH 3700 car stereo about a year

Customer Question

I purchased the Pioneer AVH 3700 car stereo about a year ago. It worked fine for 6-7 months then things started going wrong with it. It acted as if there was a loose fuse or something. Now, I cannot get any power at all to it. I checked out the fuses and purchased a new harness, to no avail. I hooked up a 12v wire and plugged it in, but nothing. I put my original unit back in the car and it works fine, so that eliminates the ground being a problem or anything to do with the car or car wires. Best Buy said it could be an internal fuse. Many folks keep saying to make sure it is updated with the most current software, but I cannot get it to turn on to do that. Any suggestions?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you checked with a multi-meter the following?

• • always available +12V on the yellow wire;
  • • switched +12V on the red wire.
  • • control +612V on the blue/white wire;
  • • 10A rear fuse of the Pioneer.

All other next checks would be with the internal circuitry.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did check the rear amp and it was good, but I still replaced it. I have checked volts in the power lines, but I don't get any reading on any of the wires. It is so weird because it worked for 6-7 months perfect.
Now, I cannot remember exactly how I hooked the wires up and I cannot locate my notes/handbook. I have a 2004 ford explorer. I have extra wires that don't have an obvious match. like the blue and white and the illumination ground etc....I must have had them correct the first time, because everything (except for the reverse camera because I cannot determine which wire is the reverse wire behind the side panel on the dash...I think it is pink, but not 100%).
This is the first time I have installed one of these....being a mom of two grown young women, I don't exactly have a lot of experience with this....but I ran all of the wires throughout the car by myself, etc...and did a good job! LOL thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Please click HERE. The wiring diagram hopefully would shed insight on the connections.