Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Volume is low on our new ddx9702s we just installed

Customer Question

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of all the speakers connected to the Kenwood DDX9702S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried it before we changed the speakers from the factory ones and it was still too low, even with the volume maxed out.We put in a set of JBL GX602 6 1/2" speakers in the front and left the factory speakers in the back. The JBL are 180 watts
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

To my understanding, the Kenwood DDX9702S is rated to safely power 4 ~ 8 Ω speakers.

Still, please consider / try a RESET (if have not been done).

Also, ensure that the brown wire is not connected to anything and is kept covered. taped and insulated.

Further, review / re-check the speaker wire pairings.

The above are the only easy user doable tries. All others would possibly be internal and would require a multi-meter and even possibly circuit testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did have the brown wire connected because the Onstar/GMC harness said to attach it, so we will disconnect and see how that works.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the post back and would look forward to an update when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unhooked the brown wires and not any better. Getting desperate. Will try the reset and see if that works.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please, perform a RESET to restore to factory defaults the settings and configurations..

Disconnecting the Kenwood's brown wire should already have disabled the built-in hardwired auto-MUTE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if I did reset the kenwood because I don't see it doing anything when I push where the button is according to the manuel. The button doesn't actually move and doesn't say anything on the screen.?....Is there something I'm missing or not doing correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call me?(###) ###-####
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

If a RESET was successful and/or if the RESET button was engaged internally, then the Kenwood would display the initial setting screen; the Setup screen.

If it does not based on "...don't see it doing anything when I push where the button is...", then it would point to a strong possibility of a hardware issue.

Please consider bench testing the Kenwood; i.e., not mounted nor wired to the vehicle. All it would need to run the bench test would be:

• • red & yellow wires temporarily joined together to a +12V source;
  • • black wire to ground (or - terminal);
  • • a single speaker to test the speaker wire pairs 1 pair at a time.

Please post back how things turned up and/or should additional information be needed.