sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2004 Camry hooked up viper one button remote. All I get is

Customer Question

2004 Camry hooked up viper one button remote . All I get is lights on when pushed to(car finder) mode . Installed 556u bypass and tested good .what am I missing
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

To begin to determine what is going on I will need to know the model number of the system.

I'm assuming it's a remote start rather than just an alarm. If so, what specifially happens when the button is pressed to start - what lights up, does anything turn off, flash, horn honk, etc?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is a Viper model 4115v when I push the button to start it does nothing . No lights on unit or car . The car find option works- holding the button for longer than 1.5 seconds Also I can get into program menus
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The install instructions are vague and I am unable to get support from Viper I'm sure there is one wire that I haven't hooked up but without support I am stuck. I've put these in cars in the past but always bulldog or auto command models

Do you have power on the two red wires in the six pin connector?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tied the two together and hooked up to constant power. I used a wiring diagram from another remote starter so I'm sure I have it wired right . There are a lot of wires that aren't necessary for this application. I'm not hooking up hood pin or neutral safety , at least not yet. These are grounded wires and I didn't hook them to ground . The wires I don't know where to hook up are the negative (-) input ignition and accessories (-) input Or do they need to be hooked up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also didn't use door locks option since it has the option on factory key fob

Using an incandescent test light with the connector unplugged to both terminals light the test light?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also tested ignition 1 and ignition 2 wires and accessories wire

Is there ground on the black wire in the nine way connector?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is a ground on 9 wire connector . I put ground from 9 wire and bypass module to body - and it's a good ground - scraped all paint and primer from body
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's the wires from 9 wire connector that I'm wondering about

You've verified ground at the connector with a test light? Nothing can be taken for granted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
True. I guess what I'm looking for is a comprehensive wiring diagram for the Viper especially for that 9 pin connector. I'll check the wires that I have connected for continuity but I think the 9 pin is my problem.

You can find the wiring requirements here:

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/IG/Viper/QRN4115V%20%202012-09%20%20print.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On nine pin I have horn, ground, and light wires hooked up. What else am I missing from connector?

Does the horn chirp and do the park lamps flash when pressing the button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No The only thing I get is car finder - pushing remote for 1.5 seconds will flash lights

What is the voltage on the brown wire in the 5 way connector?

Is there any continuity to ground on the gray wire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have to get back to you on that . I won't be able to work on the car till Saturday. Can I still contact you this weekend?

Yes, we can continue whenever you're able.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Answer to your question on Monday. 12 volts on brake when depressed. Gray wire on 5 pin is disconnected which is hood pin switch
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to hook up yellow wire on 9 pin to power? Ignition out to alarm
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On this viper system, does it have to be initialized like some other remote starters. And if so, how is it done?

Why is the hood switch and wiring not in place?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I normally don't put them in . I have had trouble in the past with pin bending but that grounds out when hood being lifted so I just tape it so it does t ground out

Outside of it being a safety issue, many remote starts are now using a diagnostic voltage to prevent operation without the switch in place. You'll need to install the switch and wiring before continuing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay hood pin is in - by the way gray wire did have power approx 11 volts

It didn't light a test light though, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that is correct

That's diagnostic voltage rather than actually having power.

What happens now with the hood closed and pressing the remote start button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Same thing no response no lights no horn.

Do you hear relays in the module clicking when the button is pressed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

In the six way connector do any of the wires besides the red wires power up when pressing the button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay here's what I have so far- I got the remote to start by grounding neutral safety . Also put toggle switch in which is required for programming. Blew a fuse in car 30amp . Removed accessories wire from 6 pin . Remote started car but am unable to keep car running longer than 15 seconds. I ran shutdown diagnostics and came up with low or no rpm low battery. Trying to decide if I should hard wire tach .

Did the park lights come on after starting, and did you shut it off with the fob when the park lights come on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Actually the park lights come on almost immediately during the start cycle. And yeah I shut it down with fob to set virtual tach. But when I started the car it still went for the 15 seconds . I went as far as clearing virtual tach and tried again. I'm guessing my accessory wire that I have disconnected is giving module false readings

You can try hardwiring the tach signal then and see if that helps. Virtual tach should be working but isn't.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay took care of virtual tach- I programmed remote to voltage. Only problem I have now is I can't get fan to run . I tapped into accessories wire and when remote initiates it blows a fuse . I'm hoping to find the correct wire to tap into. Heater fuse is only 10 amp so it must relay to blower circuit

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well! I got everything to work! I took advice from you and another installer( who said he wouldn't have a viper shoved up his ass) .
Anyway my last problem was solved by going off the fuse of the heater circuit . Thank you for your help! Thanks for sticking with me
Dennis

Great, I'm glad you got it working!