Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

My Name is ***** *****. U= I am having an issue with my 97

Customer Question

Customer: Hello My Name is ***** *****. U= I am having an issue with my 97 ford explorer with premium sound system. It has CD changer, Cassette, and rear passenger control panel. AMP is in read right side of vehicle. I cant find the correct diagram.... and I thought this page had it, but I have an issue that when I turn the key, the radio comes on and plays without issue, when I turn the car the radio turns on but no sound
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I thought it was the yellow and black cable but it has power when I turn the key
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you feel might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

So, it sounds like the amp is not powering on. Is that what you think is happening? Here is the wiring diagram for this year explorer. Note that it does have the wires for the amp listed:

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Violet
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Light Green
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Blue (If Equipped)
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Light Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Orange
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Tan/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Pink

Let me know if that's what you are looking for or if you need more information.