Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

About a year ago I purchased a KDC-BT758HD disc player /

Customer Question

About a year ago I purchased a KDC-BT758HD disc player / receiver for my work truck. I have been very pleased with the deck but the OEM speakers in my truck (2006 GMC 2500HD Sierra) have sucked. They have been working but the quality leaves much to be desired. Having purchased the Kenwood deck I decided to add some Kenwood aftermarket speakers and recently purchased a pair of KFC-1795PS speakers. I installed the speakers this afternoon and expected great results but much to my dismay I can't get a peep out of them. The rear speakers, still factory OEM's, are working fine but the new Kenwoods haven't made a sound. Any suggestions or insights?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question today.

What is the make and model of the head unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenwood KDC-BT758HD

Did the built in unit have a factory amp in it? That could explain the problem if there is a separate amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please define "head unit". As stated in the original question the unit i am experiencing problems with is a Kenwood KDC-BT758HD. This unit has worked fine with the old OEM speakers but doesn't work with the new Kenwood speakers. I am missing the point apparently about the amp, I removed the factory installed unit when I installed the aftermarket unit. It has worked fine until the addition of the new speakers.

Head unit = thing that goes in the dash. "Built in unit" would be the one that came with the vehicle. Some vehicle systems have separate amps. Pre-amp outs go from the head unit to the amp. Speakers are wired to the amp. If the kenwood speakers are not working with the new head unit then they aren't wired into the correct place or into the head unit at all. If there was an existing amp in the vehicle, and the speakers are wired to this, it could be the problem. If you follow the wires from the speakers all the way back to wherever they go, what are they connected to?