stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV and am trying to

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV and am trying to replace the Delphi / Delco factory unit. What I found out is that there is an amplifier under the front passenger seat that prevents the head unit from going directly to the speakers. I need to bypass that amplifier. Do you have a solution?
delphi delco electronics systems audio amplifier 12220419
delphi delco electronics systems receiver 12220029
***@******.***
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Solution is probably what you were expecting. running wires from the head unit to the connection at the amplifier. Basically, extending the speaker leads to where they connect to the post amplified location. You have to cut the wires away from where they go they're seperate ways, and allow the head unit to send the signal directly to each speaker. Do you know the colors you're looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the full schematic of the system, including the color codes of wires on the back of the head unit. Got them directly from the Hyundai tech site. It would seem that only input wires should go from the head unit to the amp. But both in/out wires appear at both the head unit & amp. I'd prefer not to have to run a harness cable from head to amp location. Sounds like not much choice. Would the overall schematic help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hby14sm4178e658/Santa%20Fe%20-%20Audio%20Schematic%20-%20Delphi.pdf?dl=0
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Oh you're gonna love this, I might have you needing to run wires to the door. I'd consider having this done, and prefereably it's because it's one of those things speakers would be worth your while to get upgraded at the same time. That's pretty much how I'd go about this; it's one of those things an installer can do relatively fast that seems daunting to almost anoyone else.

Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Oh you're gonna love this, I might have you needing to run wires to the door. I'd consider having this done, and preferably it's because it's one of those things speakers would be worth your while to get upgraded at the same time. What you'd do is just extend the head unit harness to each individual speaker... could be done in about 15 minutes until you get to the door portion. It's also similar to how you would go about upgrading an amp at the same time, the way things get wired. That's pretty much how I'd go about this; it's one of those things an installer can do relatively fast that seems daunting to almost anoyone else.

Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

*sry, edit...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not worth it in this case. Again, my preference would be some kind of simple amp bypass. Appears that is out of reach for you or me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless you can come up with a solution from the schematic link that I sent you, appears that hard wiring a harness to the amp or to each speaker, remains to be the solution. That method, I've known all along. Bypassing the amp without re-running wires is what I was hoping for ...
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

I mean, how much time do you have? The thing about bypassing the amp is the wires going into it are usually different than the speaker wires, where everything gets sorted out. The easiest way to compromise the situation is RCA's to an amp replacing the one there; and then connect the speakers accordingly. It could be as simple as that, for an addition install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Delphi Delco head & amp use regular speaker wires throughout ... no shielded / RCA type cables. The amp expects high output as their input. Don't need an amp, period. So I'll just run hard wires to tie the speakers to the head unit. Bummer.
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Well, there are such things as line level converters... it just makes life easier.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i697_line-drivers.html

Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

or this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46219_NVX-XPLOC4.html

Keeps everything organized. And, only applicable if you want to have a good reason for running anything past the head unit.