Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Working with Electronics & Cars for 25+ years
5229702

I have just bought a echomap 45dv garmin just need

Customer Question

i have just bought a echomap 45dv garmin just need comfirmation does the tx blue wire and the rx brown wire both go to the positive pole on the battery
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any trouble you may be having connecting this device.

The answer is NO - do NOT connect the tx & rx wires to the battery at all - they are used for connecting to NMEA 0183 devices - to be able to communicate with them.

Let me send you a link to the installation instructions for this series of devices - which has DETAILED information about how to connect the wiring harness & wires within.

Click here --> http://static.garmin.com/pumac/echoMAP_4x-5x_Install_EN.pdf

NOTE: If you don't have any other devices to connect to, I would just tape the ends off - with electrical tape.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I just wanted to send a "marked up" section of the installation manual that MAY be a bit confusing - leading some to think that the TX & RX "signal line" be tied to a "positive" pole of the battery.

In the attached image, I have labeled the two "(+)" (plus) symbols - which are the "positive half" of many NMEA systems (which sometimes are sent across LONGER wiring as PLUS and MINUS pairs).

NOTE: You may have to click on the attached file NAME to see the image.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion about these signal lines.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)