stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I have a pioneer car stereo model DEH-X6810BT im installing

Customer Question

I have a pioneer car stereo model DEH-X6810BT im installing in a 2003 mustang not sure where to attach blue/white wire says auto-antenna &also orange/white says illumination signal not sure what they are or located
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Well, you don't always have to hook up that wire actually. The blue/white is more for "power" antenna's that mechanically deploy/retract with the tuner being in play. Or, if it requires 12 volts to function, as the antenna itself when plugged into a head unit usually derives its energy from there. Personally, I never hook up the orange wire for illumination. As a professional. Never. Yeah, not once in a customers car. Ever. It's totally unnecessary. I can look up the diagram for you and figure out the necessity of the antenna wire, is that your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks just wasn't sure if the orange was needed for illumination and didn't really think needed blue but wasn't quite sure
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

I'll put it this way, simplest way to tell... If your wire harness to the car has a blue wire, I'd hook it up to the blue/white wire from the head unit. The after market harness may have a blue(/white) wire regardless of you particular model. you can check to see if there are any correlation amongst the pins between both harness' connections. That's just the easiest way to tell for your particular application, if anything lines up. The most obvious test of your installation will be whether or not the radio gets a clear signal. That's about the only difference a power antenna would make, in general.