Expert-Repair
Expert-Repair, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I uninstalled my Xm Alpine unit because it quit workin. I

Customer Question

I uninstalled my Xm Alpine unit because it quit workin. I did not cut any wires more than the three that wer tied into the radio harness. they were spliced in so i cut the leaads after harness and caped them so main wires were not cut. when i hooked it back up the information center in the dash and radio display do not light up when car is running or key in on position. But when i turn the key backwards or in Acc. postion everything works and lights up. What did i do wrong?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Expert-Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hello and good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

3 wires usually include a hot, hot with key on and a ground, it's very possible that however they were spliced that one of the wires came loose esp if those tap connectors are used where you press them together to connect wires together. Your best option is to remove the splices and only have the radio wires connected and nothing leftover from removing the other component, however what you will be looking for is loose/disconnected wires. The only difference here will be from the ignition switch itself though (between key on and backwards to acc) both supply key on 12v to the radio, the other hot is hot at all times and the ground is just that, this means that you usually have a problem at the ignition switch not the wiring, however start by checking the harness, wiring and connector to the radio.

You will have two hot wires, one hot at all times and the other is your key on hot, this is the one you will want to use your voltmeter in checking.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.