ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a 2004 mercury grand marquis and the electronic

Customer Question

I have a 2004 mercury grand marquis and the electronic keypad on the driver's door no longer works to unlock the doors, sometimes it will still light up. Wondering how I might fix?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If just the unlock function is not working, then the electronic contacts below the unlock button may be dirty and require cleaning to make the button function again. The button will need to be disassembled and the contacts can be cleaned using electronic contact cleaner. A local garage can do this for you.

If none of the buttons are working, then either there is a loose cable connection, or the keypad circuitry has failed and it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
Guess I should have been more specific in my question. Specifically, I need know how to access the keypad within the door, I had trouble getting to it when I took the door apart, I couldn't reach the back of the switch within the door. Also, is the problem likely to be there or somewhere else? I noted that wires from the keypad device on the door ran down the door to some sort of electronic box at the bottom of the door. I am pretty sure there is still power to the keypad as it does sometimes light up, however, it does not function at all, i.e. does not lock or unlock doors or trunk. This problem also seemed to occur gradually. I remember it working well, then sometimes having to enter my code more than once before it would work, and then eventually my code would not work at all. I appreciate your help.
Tracey

Hi Tracey,

There are a number of hidden screws within the door assembly that will need to be removed to allow you to remove the keypad module, however I don't have a guide for this particular model available.

The problem is likely to be with the keypad module itself, as it is receiving power ok.

Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to

say "thank you" :-)