Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I am driving a Iveco Camper and is fitted with a factory

Customer Question

Good day.
I am driving a Iveco Camper and is fitted with a factory fitted Bosch SB08 radio.
This radio switched off after 20 minutes.Is there a way to disable the 20 min.switch off function.I want to use the radio when vehicle is stationary and the radio switched on with the on/off button with the ignition turned off.I did select the ignition time function on the radio and selected the 00 time option but radio is still switching off after 20 min.Please adviced.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

One reasons they put that on these is so that you don't run the battery down while you are camped and end up without power. Is this a concern to you here or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if you can bypass the radio features for that or not, but you can hookup a direct power source to it so that the ignition switch is bypassed. That wouldn't be hard to do, but again............if you go off and forget to turn it off or leave it on too long it might run the battery down to the point you are stranded someplace. Out in the jungle, that might not be a good thing! Just a thought. Perhaps adding a solar panel to keep the battery up (if this doesn't have one now) would help and when you are dry camping it would keep the battery(s) charged up or at least more completely. I don't know what your power uses would be and that would need to be determined. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later, but keep the time difference in mind as I live in California. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply but it is not helping.I did connect the ign. wiring to the possitive but still not working.I think it must be something to do with the can lines.I am not affraid that the battery will run down.I was thinking maybe you would known a way to disable this function on the radio.Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I doubt there is one as that is how it is built........and if the instructions don't give you that they either don't want to tell you or it isn't possible. I will opt out of this and allow another tech to offer something for you if they are able. Perhaps asking someone here in electronics may be a better idea.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

So I was looking at the manual on this and it appears you can set the unit to shut off click HERE and see page 19 you would use the arrows and select "radio off 00 min" Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I just re-read your question and see you have tried to set the radio to that function. It should be shutting down when you select that. I do not have anything else to offer on this to me it sounds like the radio could be at fault if it is not accepting the programming for that mode. You might need to get a hold of the radio manufacturer to see if there are any known issues with that happening.... Robert

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You could just replace it with a model that doesn't have that feature........and solve the problem.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering if you found a solution yet? Kind of curious as to whether the radio was defective or just not able to be modified.