Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  over 30 years, ARA, Sony, Alpine, Audiovox, Kenwood, Muntz. Sales, Repair & Installation
1609972

I have just installed a Pioneer avh x8700bt with pioneer ND

Customer Question

Hello! I have just installed a Pioneer avh x8700bt with pioneer ND BC8 camera in my VW transporter van. It's was all going well, but the camera is causing me serious grief! I have the brown video out going to the brown BC in socket on the unit, red power to switched red on stereo, and black ground spliced into ground wire on stereo. And a separate wire running from the rear brake light up to the purple/white reverse cable on the stereo. When I engage reverse sure enough the screen switches and a black screen appears with the ' Caution, the image may appear reversed' or something like that, also the parking guides appear, but no image from the camera. I have Made sure the camera setting is to 'battery' and not 'ground'. I know that the camera works as yesterday it worked in the BC socket when I was first installing it and playing around, since the issue today I checked it in the yellow video in socket and the image appears, so why doesn't it work in the BC input even when the stereo is switching correctly into camera mode when in reverse?! It might coincide with when I came back to finish the install this morning and one of the ground connections was loose (spliced into existing stereo ground black wire), when I wiggled it I could here the e-brake bypass (I fitted this and it seems to work well) relay clicking on and off, so I redid the joint and that's fine now. Please help!So frustrating! Tom
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

It is possible with the loose ground that was present this may have caused surge of off and on signals and can damage the camera itself.I have seen this before where the camera needed replaced in some cases unfortunately.I would try and disconnect the camera all together then reconnect it after a few minutes and see if it resets and then operates properly again.If this does not work here at all let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, The camera definitely still works as I can plug it into the other 'Video In' RCA input, and see a clear image. This is the problem!! I know the camera works, I know the reverse gear is switching the stereo into camera mode, but no image displays when the camera is plugged into the dedicated 'BC' brown input on the stereo, only a black screen with 'Caution the image may appear reversed'. Still none the wiser.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the wiring from the camera to the stereo to make sure nothing is shorted or damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But surely the camera wouldn't work in the other input if there was any issues with the wires?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is correct but I just wanted to make sure all wiring is o.k.

The only thing I can think of is the input in the radio itself was damaged or is damaged causing this here since the camera and wiring does work with the RCA input signals.The reverse signals work as well as all wiring for the camera so this leaves me to believe the camera input in the radio is the cause here needing repaired internally.It may have been the ground surge issue that caused the damage.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Pete, appreciate you getting in touch but I need someone with more in depth knowledge of Pioneer stereos. I was hoping a chap called Josh C would pipe up and help out as he has specific knowledge of these units and the various settings/configurations, is the question still out there for other experts to see/answer?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
Did you still need help on this?
IF so, please answer a few questions

1)
And a separate wire running from the rear brake light up to the purple/white reverse cable on the stereo
???

Violet White does NOT connect to the "rear brake light"
Violet White connects to "Back Up Light" + wire when vehicle is in Reverse

2)
Is the Back Up Camera pioneer ND BC8? or pioneer ND BC6?

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.
.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I did mean the reverse light not the brake light. It's the BC8 as I described in my initial query.

Pioneer manual does not show the "BC8" with the 8700, just the BC6

is the Voltage + on the Violet White that connects to the "Back Up Light" + wire when vehicle is in Reverse??
let me know what you find

did you need more info? please respond

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im afraid it's not that simple! That's why I need someone that has knowledge of Pioneers and they're various settings. Thanks anyway. Please leave the question open for others to answer.

.......I have been Installing, Selling, Repairing & Designing for over 30 years
You have not answered my query
IF you do not have the ability to test Voltage or check a few other components, then this will likely not go much further.

Please let me know what you find

Thank You