Neil, Engineer
Experience:  NZCE Electronics and Computing
15873252

I really need some help. I fried two amps and I have no idea

Customer Question

I really need some help. I fried two amps and I have no idea what the problem is. Can someone help.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Hi

The first thing to check are the speakers... What has happened to the amps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok about a week ago I switched from a 2000 watt mono amp to a 3000 watt mono amp. I was driving to work and the bass cut out and the amp went into protection mode. I shut everything off and then turned the head unit back on. As soon as I did that I could smell the burning. I pulled over and sure enough there was so much smoke coming out of the amp. Amp number one is complete garbage. So I got a new amp. A Hifonics Brutus BRX 3016 it's a 3000 watt mono. I looked over all the wiring nothing looked out of place. So I hooked up the new amp. I listened to my music for about 10 min. Then the amp went into protection mode. This time I shut everything down and disconnected the power to the amp so I could save it. Well tonight I really looked everything over. I found a split in the power wire off my battery and one of the fuses looked pretty bad. I fixed thoughs things and hooked the amp back up. As soon as I turned the car on I herd a pop and the amp started to smoke. Amp number two complete garbage. What the hell is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

When you switched from the 2000 watt to the 3000 watt did you change the speakers? Unless the speakers are rated to at least 10% more than the rating of the amp then there is a very real chance of the speakers overloading. When this happens the coils can burn out on the speakers and can fail into a short with the potential of blowing amp...

What are the make and model of the speakers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two twelve inch soundqubed HC3 D2s. They are rated 1500 watts RMS each. The amp is rated 2000 watts RMS.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

The speakers need to be rated more than the amp and not the other way round... Its a distinct possibility you have blown the speakers into a short and that short has fried the amps... You will need a multimeter to test the speakers..

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Did you have the speakers in series or parallel? If parallel this will have the effect of making the overloading worse... If in series then these speakers are right on the limit of the amp but the doubled impedance will have an effect on the Amp output

Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.

Did you need more help with this?