umdterp13
umdterp13, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Custom Installer / 12 Volt Tech
30812386

Does anyone know how to change the battery in the keypad of

Customer Question

Does anyone know how to change the battery in the keypad of an Accele RS505 wireless keyless entry system?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

http://www.iatft.com/catalog/RS505%20Instruction.pdf

How is this procedure necessary? it it isn't operating properly, it may be a dead battery or wire that has lost it's place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks for the response. The Accele RS505 (see http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=RS505&Category_Code=) works the same way in principle as a keyfob. There is a remote transmitter that transmits a signal to a receiver in the car that is wired into the lock system. But instead of the transmitter being a keyfob, it is a numeric keypad that attaches with double sided tape to the car body (it looks the same as the Ford OEM keypad system). Just like a keyfob, the numeric keypad transmitter has a battery (CR2032) that it uses for power. The battery in my keypad went dead. I knew that because the buttons no longer illuminated when pressed, and entering the code did not unlock the doors. I was able to remove the keypad from the door, but before I tried taking it apart (figuring I had a greater than 50-50 chance of wrecking the keypad) I thought I'd ask. After a while, figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried taking it apart. Here's what I did in the slim-to-none chance someone else might have the same question :)
There are 8 Phillips head screws on the back of the keypad. Remove the screws. The screws on the back simply hold the front bezel covering the numeric keypad to the base. Once the screws are out, use a small jeweler’s screwdriver to separate the bezel from the base. After the bezel is removed, carefully peel the rubber numeric membrane off the base. This reveals the printed circuit board. Use the screwdriver to gently pry the printed circuit board out of the base. The battery is in the bottom of the printed circuit board. After you replace the battery, reassembly is, of course, the opposite.