Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2006 scion ecu replaced with used and will not start now

Customer Question

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases the ECU has to be programmed by a dealer once it is installed in your vehicle in order for it to operate and start your vehicle.On some models the ECU has to be a new ECU as a used one may not work properly in your vehicle as they sometimes can only be programmed to one vehicle and not installed and programmed to another.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anybody with first hand knowledge of a 2006 Scion TC's ECU. I am told you can go thru the OBD2 port and make the ECM talk to the security system. Takes about 35 minutes and a piece of wire
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a whole lot of experience myself on this model here but what I have posted above is usually what needs done to allow the vehicle to start and operate properly.I don't know of a procedure myself with using the OBD2 port and a wire on this model here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my sons friend knew how to do this and got the car running, why did i need an expert to tell me to go to the dealer?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize my info didn't help here with what you were looking for and glad to hear it has been resolved.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know.

Thanks Pete