Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I am installing an AVH-X8500BHS into a 2007 VW EOS. I got

Customer Question

I am installing an AVH-X8500BHS into a 2007 VW EOS. I got the wiring adaptor and connected all of the wires to there corresponding colors and plugged it into the VW connector. The radio turns on but here are the issues:
1. The radio seems to be constant now
2. I can press the volume down and it works but volume up does not
3. When I press the display open button nothing happens.
Everything else seems to work just fine. Is this a wiring issue?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will assist you with your question.

The only thing that could cause volume down to work but not volume up would be the wiring related to the steering wheel controls, so I would check that. Did you wire steering wheel controls?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no steering wheel controls on this car.

What about in the wiring harness from the radio? If they are in the harness, you still have to make sure they aren't connected to anything or grounded to anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is where things go beyond my pay grade. Being a novice, I simply purchased the wiring harness for the 2007 VW EOS, so that I would only have to connect it to the existing EOS plus and then presumably just connect the matching colors from the Pioneer AVS-X8500BHS to the wire harness. I did that and as I stated above there are three things that do not function properly. The first being the volume up, the second is the mute and the third is the button that tells the Pioneer to open the screen to reveal the CD and Card slot. Everything else seems to work fine. Is there any way that you could tell me which wire is connected incorrectly or need to go to a different connection?

The volume up and the mute would be consistent with the remote control wires, but I don't think that's the case with the eject button. The colors of the wiring harness don't always match the colors of the radio wires. That info should be with the harness though.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael, I ended up discounting all of the wires with the exception of the power and still the volume up was not functioning. It would appear that there might have been a short? In any event I am going to buy a newer Pioneer system and have it put it. Thanks