Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My radio goes to" phone" on the screen every time i turn it

Customer Question

my radio goes to" phone" on the screen every time i turn it on. I did just replace the battery in the 1998 mercedes e 320 and entered the proper code.i have a 99 e 320 and tried the radio from that one and it would just say "muted " WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROPLEM
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the radio.

Still and in most instances, this would be caused by a sensor wire that is inadvertently touching ground. This wire is meant to be connected to a mobile phone that sends a signal when in use/incoming call causing the radio to auto-mute.