Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

After a year or more of flawless service, my garmin dashcam

Customer Question

After a year or more of flawless service, my garmin dashcam 20 now forgets its initial setup information such as country, time zone and other perameters that always were set and forget. Is there some sort of a reset or something else which I can do to fix this annoying problem, as reprograming the info every time I turn on the ignition switch is inconvenient.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

This problem indicated a failed IC inside the unit. Its a component that stores variable information like the Time and date etc and keeps all that data saved when the unit is turned off.

This will need to be sent in for service as the part is super tiny and soldered in place using surface mount technology requiring specialized equipment to replace the part.

I wish I had better news for you I really do but it is fixable but needs to be done by an experienced technician.

The best place for that for price and quality is this site:

http://support.garmin.com/support/sw/supportPage/display?locale=en_US&topicName=Dash%20Cam%2020

Or call them :

By Phone

U.S.:(###) ###-####br />U.S. Toll-free:(###) ###-####br />Canada:(###) ###-####/p>

Support Hours

Mon–Thurs: 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Central Time (Closed Holidays)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Tech Michael