Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have accumulated about 5 older Jag Car Radios and a few CD

Customer Question

I have accumulated about 5 older Jag Car Radios and a few CD players for Jaguar Cars,,,trunk mounted, and need to test them. What do I need to safely test them and not do damage to them ...a couple of them are new still in the box Alpine CD players and I believe the radios were all made for Jaguar by Alpine. I do want to bench test them and not try to get them into existing car installations. I am looking for some guidelines on what equipment would be needed and general how to guidelines....
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think first of all, you would need a car battery that is charged... or a 12 V. DC power source, to power the car radios in question.

Then obviously, you would need a speaker pair (at least - switched between speaker outputs, if the stereo has quad speaker outputs) to test the speaker outputs, the general tone of the sound, etc. Note that impedance matching is often important (unless you have variable or adaptive impedance speaker outputs, of course, which increases the usable range) so the speaker's impedance should be matched to the rated output impedances of the stereos in question.

And, you'd need an antenna for some of them, for the radio functions. A car antenna would do, obviously.

For CD players, you need one unscratched and not-cracked audio CD, to test the CD playing functions.

And a voltmeter helps, when dealing with voltage measuring, whether on the power source, or speaker outputs (not that voltage measuring on them is often needed).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have most of that covered,,,what I am looking for more specifically is the selection and choice of wires and connectors... For example, which color is usually the power going into the device? what is the normal color and best use of a grounding wire? Is there any standardized info on this, as I do not for the most part have any wiring diagrams and in the case of the Alpine CD players there is a round socket plug through which every seems to be connected....That leaves with no choice but to find a connector but to what and how would I power that unit up?

I guess I need a little more in terms of direction here...

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Grounding wires are black, or sometimes green. Best use? preventing electrical shock, by providing a 'diversion path' or 'reservoir' e.g. by hooking grounding wire to (at most thorough) a metal stake driven deep into the ground.

And of course, in a car electrical system, A. the chassis of the radio/stereo must be 'grounded' in order to shield the internal electronics from radio frequency noise from the car's ignition / spark plug systems, and B. the ground wire and the chassis of the whole car is hooked up to the negative ( - ) pole of the battery.

Inside the device, the ground is either the broadest circuit board runs, often the ones bordering the circuity board... or else, simply, you may trace it to the chassis of the radio/stereo.

Red is common for the + wire of the power, but not invariably.

Specifics for Alpine CD players have to be researched, I don't have them offhand, esp. not for that round connector. I have to ask for a bit of time on that.

Is there no separate power, antenna, and/or speaker connector/pug/terminal, on the Alpine units you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will get the exact model numbers where I can and supply picture(s) of the connectors which I believe I can upload.....back later

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That would be good, and help me figure out the problem/issues/connectors. Please do post such images when you can and at your convenience. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The attached shows both alpine players and a Clarion one. I have tried to show the connectors which are both different. Any help you can provide will be appreciated to test or obtain parts for

both players

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to have to say that I have no further ideas how to advise you, and so have Opted Out, with apologies. I hope that another Expert here, more practiced with this sort of Alpine device connector, will take up the case.