Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I installed a Viper Responder 350/3305V security system in

Customer Question

I installed a Viper Responder 350/3305V security system in my 1990 Chevrolet K1500 Scottsdale 4x4. I used 2 524T 2 wire door lock actuators with 2 spdt relays. This setup for the door locks worked great. am having issue. The door locks are no longer working. The wiring, has not changed. In tracking down the problem, I have found that with a multi-meter, black lead to ground, with the red lead to the blue wire, pressing the lock button sends a signal, red wire to the green wire, unlock sends a signal. I removed the harness, checked the signals at the pins at the unit, same thing. I thought that blue is supposed to send a signal to unlock, and green to unlock.
I actually have another Viper responded unit, that I hooked up just to see if the unit was at fault. Not the case. The same thing happens with signals coming from blue to lock, green to unlock. Is it possible that both units are faulty, or are these normal findings? You previously mentioned that I should have used 5-wire actuators. Would that solve this issue? Would thst eliminate the need for 2 spdt relays? Could anything have been done to reverse the signals coming from the unit?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Normally BLUE = Unlock, and GREEN = Lock

But it will ultimately depend on how you install the actuator. The actuator basically cycles between lock and unlock and the way you set it up initially will determine its initial state and which wire is lock and which is unlocked. So if they are backwards, simply reverse the wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have switched them, they do not work. From what I have previously indicated, is there anything wrong with the main unit? If I went with 5-wire actuators, would I still need to use relays? I don't have or need switches, just keyless entry? Would the 5-wire actuator setup be more efficient? How are the 5-wire actuators wired/setup?

That's a lot of questions... I was under the impression that it was working previously. Is that not the case? You need the relays because you are only sending a low voltage signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is just answer correct? If so, your supposed to answer questions. You have only answered 1 of my questions. I do know that you get compensated for only good to excellent ratings, and penalized for anything less satisfactory. I would have no poblem contacting customer service. Your call.

You didn't answer my request for additional information.

1. You need relays (Answered)
  2. No. It is not more efficient (Answered)
  3. The wiring diagram for the "5 wire" setup would require that you indicate what actuators you wish to use. "The 5-wire actuator" isn't enough information. There is no reason to use 5 wires instead of 2.

" I don't have or need switches, just keyless entry? "

I apologize, but I don't know how to answer that question.

Please don't rate the question. I do not wish to be paid for assisting you, since you are obviously not happy. I do not work well under threat, nor am I required to. For those reasons, I have chosen not to continue working on this question and I will opt out. Someone else will be along to provide you with any information that I have failed to provide. I apologize for any inconvenience.