Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a pioneer avh-7700bt car stereo. (I have a micro

Customer Question

I have a pioneer avh-7700bt car stereo. (I have a micro bypass switch installed so that video can be played without the parking brake applied.) It worked great for 4 months. Then while driving the screen lost touch control, then the unit turned off. Now the touch panel screen opens when the ignition switch is turned on, but it is completely black, and the head unit doesn't turn on. I have checked the switched power hooked into the ignition switch, the constant power, and the ground and all connections are good. I have reset the unit with the reset button behind the removable front panel, and the fuse in the back of the head unit is good. Still the head unit won't turn on, even though the pop up screen pops up. Any ideas??
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly, possible suspects are:
• CPU/logic circuitry (least likely);
• flex cable (likely);
• low or missing output of DC-to-DC converter (most likely).
All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.
Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?
Perhaps more importantly, would you be comfortable working on the inside circuitry?