Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Have a avital remote on a 2004 colorado son tried a new one

Customer Question

have a avital remote on a 2004 colorado
son tried a new one from dealer and set off alarm. ran batt. dead. disconected batt. and who knows what else. charged batt. and old remote wont turn 0ff alarm
need to reset? how about new remote also?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Your car's alarm system has suffered from a prolonged period of being disconnected from any power.
That has, most likely, reset all its settings, among which are the synchronization it had with its remotes.
The new remote from the dealer, not having been synchronized or configured to control the alarm, set it Off, I would presume. The old remote is now no longer in sync with the alarm. You will need to sync the remote(s) with the alarm again, following the standard initial setup instructions.
(For any idea of those instructions, reference the maker and model of your remote - or let me know. It depends upon the alarm model, not the model of remote - though some models of remotes will be imcompatible with a given alarm, of course.)