stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I have a 1977 chevy p30 step van that i am trying to hookup

Customer Question

I have a 1977 chevy p30 step van that i am trying to hookup a backup cam in. My head unit is a pioneer avh-p5700dvd. I can't use my reverse signal input on the p30 and a switch isn't working
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

if you have reverse lights, you can use the reverse signal... it's usually a (+) and if you're running a wire to the rear bumper for the camera, you can grab the reverse light wire near the bulb, trace it to somewhere convenient, and go from there... it just takes running the HU (head unit) camera wire alongside a makeshift, extended reverse wire.

Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

However, if you're missing a pin, just get one out of another slot... carefully.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no reverse lights sorry thats what I meant by I can't use my reverse signal on the p30. there are none on the rear of the vehicle and there isn't a spot coming out of it on the switch that turns on the lights or the steering column where you shift or the transmission. I need to wire a switch which I have done and it doesn't work or I need another alternative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The way I have the switch wired is The top post is coming from the trucks acc the middle post goes to the hu purple back up cam wire and the bottom is the ground as the instructions said. The switch lights up and I tested it and it works fine on the wipers which is what I tested it on.
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

Did you connect the e brake wire to anything? Pioneers usually need a bypass for this, or straight to ground... it doesn't have much to do with reverse but it may be messing with the internal computation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did it the good way which is hooking it to a relay.
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

well, long story short, if it sees power with the wiper, you did something right. I've ran into instances of dud cameras straight out of the box before... I would consider this a possibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it worked on a couple different monitors that I tried
Expert:  umdterp13 replied 1 year ago.

ok, we've established the camera works, and for some odd reason there does not exist anything resembling a reverse light and yet you have found a way around this with a switch that also works... it may just be the head unit. As for whether or not this is mechanical or in yet another unlikely scenario, a software implementation, maybe we can try having you update your software from the Pioneer website. There should be firmware updates via a USB stick/memory card... are you eligible?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tested the switch on the wipers and the camera on a monitor. You are right it could be the HU i guys not receiving the signal from the reverse light (purple) wire. The avh-p5700dvd doesn't have a usb/memory card input. Maybe i can see if it is updatable through cd.