Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The speakers stopped working on a Ford E250 van. the radio

Customer Question

the speakers stopped working on a Ford E250 van. the radio worked and is still showing displays as if it is working. we have a similar van and have tried the radios back and forth..both work in the older van, but not in the 2007. there is a slight crackle in the right speaker when we turn it on and off. we have been modifying the back of the van for plumbing but nothing in the front. tried all the fuses, they are good....at a loss
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Is the 2007 the Ford E250 referenced in the this question?

If so, then there would be no sound from the speakers when one of the speaker wires is pinched/kinked or some how shorted to ground (the chassis of the vehicle). Additionally one of the speakers having a shorted voice coil (being blown or dry rotted), will cause this.

You will need to remove the speakers and test them with a multi-meter. Each speaker should have a DCR of close to 3.2 ohms. If either is much lower than that- or a dead short, that speaker is putting the radio's outputs into "protect mode" to prevent damage to the radio.

If the speakers test fine, then without the radio connected, use your meter and test each terminal of the speaker wires (at the speaker side) with reference to chassis ground, and see if one show continuity to chassis ground. If it does- then you've found your culprit.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a diagram or schematic that would show the coloring of the wires as this van has power windows and power locks. It would be helpful to know the path of the wires from the speaker to the radio. Yes this is the 2007 van. No speakers in the rear