Car Audio Rusty
Car Audio Rusty, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  Powering, fusing, wiring, and general installation
63817454

I have a KTP-445U Head unit power pack. I am using 2 channel

Customer Question

I have a KTP-445U Head unit power pack. I am using 2 channel RCA set up from head unit (fronts) to power pack. I'm getting no sound. Almost seems as if power pack is dead. How can you tell if unit is even on? At any rate, no sound at all. I have unit switched to 2 channel mode and have rca's plugged into "front in" rca's on power pack as well. Any ideas?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Car Audio Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Is the power pack getting warm? Touch the ends of the RCA jacks on the head unit end. Do you hear a buzz? What I'm looking for is power to the power pack. If you touch the RCA and don't hear a buzz, there is a problem with the power pack. If you touch the RCA and you DO hear a buzz, then the problem is on your head unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rusty, first I want to thank you for taking the time to respond. The power pack is not getting warm and there is no buzz. I tested the voltage between the yellow wire lead and the black wire lead input wires on the power pack. It registers 12 volts. But again, no sign of life coming from the power pack itself. Is there a fuse or something I should check? on the yellow input or the unit? Is there a light on the unit someplace? thanks again for response.
Are you checking the power at the power pack? The yellow should read +12v.
There are also switches that need to be set. Be sure the RCA/SPKR switch is set to RCA. 2ch/4ch set to 2ch.
There is a 15A fuse just above the speaker out connections. Check that fuse with an ohm meter, and tell me what you find.