Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

F150: Having a problem with my alarm system on my 1999 f150.

Customer Question

Having a problem with my alarm system on my 1999 f150. Series of problems have led up to current issue of not able to start truck even with a jump. Everything is dead. (no power in or out of vehicle). Kill switch must be stuck. I had just received a new remote entry that has somehow permanently turned everything off. I don't have original keys and also the auto/manual door lock system on the armrest had stopped working a year or so back. I had to start my truck quickly using the over-ride button below the dash to start my truck everytime I drove my truck...then it eventually started draining the battery so I had to jump my truck if it sat for over a day. So i ordered the remotes online..followed the directions to program them...but some how everything has gone dead and i can't even jump start my vehicle....HELP!
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Your remote entry system may have been defective from the vendor. I advise removing it, checking as to whether that improves the case, and reinstalling it once (if you care to) just to make sure, carefully, that it is installed correctly, before returning it. Also check the fuses in your vehicle - all of them, one at a time (so as not to get them mixed up by some mischance such as droping them.)If blown fuses are found, identify what they go to, before replacing them, so as to know what section of the car is affected. Check the battery with a voltmeter, when you find that your vehicle needs a jump-start, just to make sure the battery is indeed discharged... a voltage below 11 V would mean a battery discharged status. If the kill switch is part of the new remote entry system, it may be defective. Also, a subtler problem might be the case: are there more than one security system in the vehicle ? if so, they may be interfering with each other. It's something to be considered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't buy a new alarm system. It's the one that came with the brand new truck. I only purchased a new remote key that unlocks te doors and disarms the alarm system. Before receiving the new remote key, I had been manually opening the door with a non remote key and starting my truck by simultaneously holding down the over ride kill switch button under the dash and turning the ignition within 30 seconds after entering the cab. Only problem that is after I turned off the engine and exited truck and closed the doors the alarm would self set and if the truck sat over 2 nights the battery would be drained and I would require a jump. So I ordered the new key remotes to try and eliminate that nuisance by programming the new key chain (not an actual key) so that I could disarm the system and not have it drain my battery. After following the steps to program the remote to my truck tempted to disarm the alarm system with the new remote (I know how to do this since I had used one for many years before losing the original). It made the chirping sound and then every thing went dead in the vehicle.No power anywehere. Won't start from a jump or give power to truck either. What's the deal ?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That 'deadening' of the truck, when you tried to disarm the system, sounds like some sort of desperate last-ditch anti-theft measure, perhaps activated by all that somewhat-irregular procedure with the alarm system and starting the vehicle with the kill switch activated and so forth. But I'm not sure - it could also be sheer coincidence, which does sometimes happen. To eliminate that, I'd advise you to measure the voltage across the car battery's terminals + and - with a voltmeter or a car battery meter. If there's no voltage there, then the car battery has spontaneously failed, explaining the 'no power to anything, everything dead' condition.