Aric, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My AM/FM receiver is an Alpine TDM 7546 model installed in

Customer Question

My AM/FM receiver is an Alpine TDM 7546 model installed in a 1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SL.
It has a companion Alpine CD changer mounted in the trunk. The receiver's left audio
channel no longer works; thus, I want to get a replacement receiver and, maybe, a new
changer unit, preferably a JVC. Would that Alpine changer be compatible with a JVC
model? Are changers still an attractive option for a car audio system? I'm not that
familiar with the newer components and don't know if changers are a useful option.
Thanks!
Gil Lusk
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Offhand CD changers are no longer made, and a JVC deck would not be compatible with an Alpine changer.
The reason CD changers have gone extinct- is that most all new Decks have an Auxiliary port, and USB port (for quick connection of a Smartphone, USB stick, etc.) that will contains thousands of songs all in a keychain sized device.
You can purchase a USB thumb drive for about $15 that will hold up to 3 thousand songs- all of which can simply be downloaded from a computer, or you can burn all of your CD's to the computer- then simply transfer onto the drive in about 10 minutes.
Most Smartphones also support free music applications like Pandora and Iheart radio which gives you unlimited FREE- near commercial-free music.
That said, I would suggest something like the JVC at the link below that has both USB and also an Auxiliary connection, and simply omit the CD changer in the system (BONUS: The unit below will include ALL of the wiring accessories needed to make it install into your vehicle easily):
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR760/JVC-KD-R760.html?tp=5684
Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.