Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

SETTING THE SWR

Customer Question

HELLO, I NEED TO SET MY SWR ON MY VIPER ANTENNA, MOUNTED JUST BEHIND THE CAB CAN YOU GIVE ME THE IDOTS VERSION

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.1. You'll need your CB radio to be installed properly. The antenna connected, but the radio still Off... if the SWR rating is not properly adjusted yet, your radio might be damaged if operated with it still unadjusted, I gather. 2. You'll need a jumper cable (i.e. a short length of coaxial cable) and a SWR meter. 3. Park in a region with clearance on all sides to 10 or 15 meters or yards to all sides.Don't have anyone outside your vehicle; Get in and close all windows and doors. 4. Disconnect the coaxial that leads to the antenna, from the radio. Connect the ANT or Antenna probe on the SWR meter, to the coaxial leading to the antenna. 5. And connect the XMIT or Transmitter lead of the SWR meter, to the radio where the antenna's coaxial plugs in. 6. Set the SWR meter to FWD. Turn radio to Channel 1. Key the microphone (pressing the button and holding it down.) 7. Note: keep the microphone the same distance from the meter for each test. 8. Turn the knob on the SWR meter labeled with 'Adjust' or 'Set' until the needle reaches the end of its range.9. Still keying the microphone, flip the switch on the SWR meter to the REF or SWR position. Quickly note what the reading is, and release the key on the microphone.10. Make sure you note down the reading you got in step 9. 11. change to Channel 40, and repeat steps (6.) through (10.) The object: to get the two reading as close together as possible. 1 1/2 to 1 or less is a tolerable ratio.To adjust the length on your antenna, follow this:- if the SWR reading on Channel 40 is higher, your antenna is too long.- if the SWR reading on Channel 1 is higher, your antenna is too short. And need I say, if your antenna is too long, shorten it according to instructions that came with it.IF your antenna is too short, then you may have too little ground plane. Or you may need to add a spring. Or lengthen it by using methods built-in to the antenna. I hope this answers your question. If you need any further details, just Reply and let me know.If this completes the question, please rate my Answer. Thanks.