Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a 1994 toyota 4 runner with a factory installed amp

Customer Question

i have a 1994 toyota 4 runner with a factory installed amp i am trying to install a pioneer deh-x1710ub unit cannot get a clear wiring diagram to iinstall this unt any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
Please see the following installation guide:
http://www.installdr.com/installdocs/toyota/PDF/869017.asp
Let me know if you have any further questions...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pete i have 1 connector on the stock radio with 16 pins in it not the two shown in every diagram i think maybe that is where some of thee confusion is this radio also has a cassette player in it i dont know if that makes a difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pete i have 1 connecctor on stock radio with 15 pins in it not two shown in every diagram i have found not sure what to do with extra wires stock radio also had cassette deck in it dont know if that makes a difference got radio to work will come on for about 10 minutes then i get and amp error message on faceplate and nothing works until car is shut off for a while oblivously i have something wired wrong wiill pull radio out and check wiring again dont know what i did wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me see if another expert can assist with this.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, proposed preliminary approach is to disable the "...factory installed amp..." by simply unplugging the output harness of this amp. The Pioneer DEH-X1710UB is displaying the AMP ERROR message because the system thinks its output is being overloaded not only with the speakers but with the Toyota amp.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i unplug the amp i dont get anything from any speakers at all
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Please confirm that the Toyota's the speaker wiring are directly connected to the Pioneer's speaker wires. A continuity tester /multi-meter would be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are are ii found a bad connection and ot things working correctly until i turn on headlights and the i lose everything again until i turn off headlights
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
A strong possibility then of another "...bad connection..."; either a poor ground (least likely) or a loose +12 source connector (most likely).
For tracing the potential loose +12 source, a testlight would be more effective than a voltmeter.
Still, does the Pioneer DEH-X1710UB still display the AMP ERROR message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will have to get back to you on moday as i have had enough for one day thanks jim
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand; when able please.
Cheers.