ElectronicsPete
ElectronicsPete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I bought a Jensen vx7020 touch screen radio I tried hooking

Customer Question

I bought a Jensen vx7020 touch screen radio I tried hooking up a after market backup camera to it. The radio itself has a reverse wire coming out of it what I did was run a wire from that wire stopping off at the fuse panel and hooking into the reverse wire then running to the back. The camera has two wires red and red and black I hooked the eirr I ran from the front to the red wire and grounded the red\black and hooked up the video cable. My radio switches to camera mode when I put the truck in reverse but show no signal I have checked the wire in the back and it shows power when the truck is in reverse. My question is does the wire coming out of the radio need to be hooked by itself or does it matter. I have a 2006 Ford f150.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The wire coming out of the radio needs to be hooked directly to the reverse light so that it only activates when the reverse signal is illuminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah I got that but my question is, is it okay to use the same wire to run to the back or does that need to be run together. We eat I have it now is the wire comes out the radio into the fuse box to the reverse light wire, then I spliced into that wire and ran to the camera in the back. Is this okay or do I need to do seperate runs. And can I use the wire from the fuse box instead of taking a tail light out.

Hi Neal,

There are two wires going to the reverse light.

You cannot use the wire from the fusebox as it contains a permanent voltage.

You will need to connect to the second wire which only carries a voltage when the car is in reverse gear. The BLACK/PINK (+) wire located in the 66 PIN Connector, behind the Driver Kick Panel is the Reverse wire that you need to connect to.