Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Kenwood KVT617/DVD monitor with GPS hookup. The GPS

Customer Question

I have a Kenwood KVT617/DVD monitor with GPS hookup. The GPS audio is turned up to full volume but is so low you can not hear it. The unit use to work fine. Also now the radio audio will shut off for a minute or two and then come back on continuously. The video on the GPS works fine. Is this worth repairing, and where would I get it repaired, or should I purchase a used radio thru EBay or similar for about $200?

Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the audio fails with a hookup to the Kenwood, then does it fail when the GPS (whatever kind, maker, or model it is) is working on its own?
- if so, then the GPS needs repair, I'd say, simply.
- if not, then the Kenwood device (or the cable to it? what cable is used?) needs repair or replacement.

As for the Kenwood device... it depends upon where you could get it repaired. Would you be willing to dismount it from the auto (that I presume it is in) and send it out for repair? or would you only have it repaired by a shop near you, where you could deliver it yourself?

Let me know (your locale and whether the GPS audio by itself is defective, and also the cable used for the connection) and I will give more specific recommendations. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The GPS (Garmin) video went out about a year ago. I had to send the unit to the kenwood repair service as we could not repair by phone. The unit car was in the shop at Best Buy where I originally bought it many years ago. Finally we packaged the radio, cables, and the brain and sent it off. Service found a problem in one of the connectors on the cable. Cable was replaced and sent back. the on screen video worked fine, but the volume giving directions was very low. The radio worked fine. I did not want to send it back again, so I lived with it and mainly used the screen directions. But now the radio cycles sometimes on and off. Between paying Best Buy, shipping both ways, Service charges. It may have been better to buy a used one that works. If there is no way to determine what to replace, as I don't know what to test without someone knowledge with this system. The unit is installed in a 1997 Jeep Wrangler which will only house a one and one half size face in the dashboard. Who would you recommend? or simply buy a used unit. They do not make this unit anymore. Any suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Further to my previous e mail. The cable used was installed by kenwood service. I am located in Tampa, Florida.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information, that helps with the case.

What model is the Garmin GPS, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Garmin GPS, KNA G510 Radio model no. KVT 617 DVD

I don't think this could be diagnosed by Email, Unless it was an old timer

who actually worked with these radios.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I admit I'm not that sort, not quite anyway.

I still think the model #, off the manufacturer's label on the back of the Garmin GPS, could perhaps help with the case, if you'd care to look on it and see. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I honestly do not know how to rate you. I do not have a clue how to check anything on the unit. I guess I will have to get in touch with the Kenwood service center, The navigation works fine (minus the audio)

The radio now is shutting down for longer periods. I'm sure your good on newer systems, but this older unit when working properly is as good as any new system you could purchase.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. I have nothing left to offer except perhaps a second opinion (or further help, hopefully) from another Expert in this category, so I have Opted Out, opening up the case to any other Expert who can offer further assistance and more advice than I have already given.