Dan, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Diploma with Database Access
17871496

Trying to figure out wiring/colors factory amplified

Customer Question

Hello. Trying to figure out wiring/colors for a factory amplified 1998 Toyota Camry le.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Here is a wire diagram that shows the colors, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxmydx3mbqwj2km/ampwd.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I think this will help. Not sure about all of the abbreviations on diagram. I've got a Metra #70-8112 wiring harness coming. Putting in a Pioneer radio #DEH-X3700UI that has 50 watts/channel or two rca outputs. Not sure how good the OEM amp is in car. Plus, the existing wiring in dash has only one harness plug, an antenna wire and another large wire that plugs into the radio next to where the antenna goes in. What do you recommend? Use OEM amp or the power from the new head unit in this car? Thanks!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'd probably bypass the OEM amp and just use the new head unit. The new head unit probably puts out as much power as the OEM amp anyway. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. So the wiring harness I ordered I won't need? Can you please tell me what the abbreviations mean on the diagram? Will I end up cutting off the Toyota harness in the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wait a minute. The diagram is for OEM amp inclusion. I have to use that amp or if I don't, I'll have to rewire all of the six speakers. I don't even know where the amp is located or how to get at it. Bypassing the amp is no easy task.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are correct, you would need to disconnect amplifier and run speaker wires directly to wire at amplifier which would go to the speakers. It is located behind glovebox area, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey. I may have solved my own problem. Found out that there are two OEM connectors back in the dash to bypass the amp.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Nice, I do not see this on wire diagrams. Let me know if it works, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the radio in and everything works, including the illumination dimmer when the lights are turned on!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear everything worked out, let me know if there is anything else I can do. Thanks again and have a great day!