Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Experience:  Years of experience in IT and customer support
15852642

My DVDs will not play in my alpine Ina-w900. I tried to reset

Customer Question

My DVDs will not play in my alpine Ina-w900. I tried to reset it. But still nothing.
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What happens when you try to play a DVD? How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just says disc error
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
How old is it? Is it disc error or disc read error?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is disc error for cd. Says same for dvd
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please answer all questions I send you. How old is it? Do you still have any type of warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warranty.
2 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what it says
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately it sounds like your lens may have failed since this is happening with all discs and needs to be replaced. It could however just need to be cleaned as well. Try a lens cleaning kit like this one 2-3 times ignore it not reading the disc just needs to spin:
http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-DVD-Lens-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B00008EM7U
Make sure the cleaning kit says DVD and not only CD. One made for only CD's will not work properly. If the same thing happens it would mean the lens needs to be replaced. A technician will normally charge an hours labor for this at their shops rate.
The average shop rate is $65-$75 per hour not including the price of the part. From what I can find the lens itself can cost around $100. Due to this if the lens has failed even if you don't have a warranty I suggest calling alpine as this should not have failed so quickly. They normally last around 5 years but the factory warranty I believe only lasts 1. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Alpine.
.