Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

Alpine INA-W900BT just added a PXA-H100, now no sound output

Customer Question

Alpine INA-W900BT just added a PXA-H100, now no sound output from CDs. Display indicates it's playing, no sound. HDTV radio works fine though. Any ideas?
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. It would have to be in the wiring between the head unit in the sound processor. Also, you have to run the tuning of the audio environment using a mic before it will be fully functional. Also there is a small switch on the side of that unit that says X over, three-way, and one other option. I don't remember what the third option is but it's a three position switch and it's really small. Make sure that is set correctly, otherwise you will not get the expected results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

System breakdown:

Head unit - Alpine INA-W900BT (both switches set to correct positions - EQ/Div)

Bluetooth - Alpine KCE-400BT

HD Radio tuner - Alpine TUA-T550HD

PAC TR-7 video bypass

Axxess ASWC steering wheel input adapter

All previously installed and working great

Just added:

Sound processor - Alpine PXA-H100 (Switch in correct position - Front/Rear/Sub)

Amp - Alpine MRD-752

Hertz speakers front/rear

JL Audio subs

Switches in correct positions, ai-net cables correct, HD radio works with subs, but no audio from CD although display shows playing, DVD works with picture but also no sound. Have not yet run the auto-tuning feature of the PXA-H100. Is there a chance that the PAC TR-7 video bypass is not letting me access all of the adjustability features of the head unit?

No, I don't think the PAC bypass could be responsible for that. Because even without adjusting the head unit if it plays audio from any source, it should play audio from another source just as easily.The only thing I can think of that is possibly different between the audio on the HD radio and the audio on a DVD or CD would be the sampling rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would that be corrected by performing the system auto-tune?

Well, the autotune is essentially the purpose of the sound processor. The autotune is what will select internally the speaker configuration and the individual tuning of speakers. On home audio systems, sometimes if the autotune is not completed some things won't work. That is, unless you go in and configure them manually. The reason is there are basically a set of various configurations that it uses as a base and then adjusts that baseline. So if there is essentially no configuration it will usually results in partial functionality. Still though in this situation where you're talking about a head unit, I don't really see a logical path to this issue. Whatever is coming out of the head unit is coming out of the head unit. And it shouldn't be outputting a different signal with a different source. So I actually find this a little bit puzzling. CD audio was working fine before the new install correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything was working well, set the switches according to Alpine manuals, but now no sound from cd/dvd source.

I was just thinking, although this wouldn't really be related to the installation is worth checking. I believe your head unit has settings for separate volumes for each source. In the settings I believe it's under the other settings – and then source volume set up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't recall seeing other settings for each source, although I don't seem to have a Bluetooth source settings menu now either, just radio and dvd set-up.

In that case, I would go into the audio settings and check something else. Make sure that the defeat is set to off and the multi-EQ is set to off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Defeat is off, the multi-eq seems to be part of the Alpine IMPRINT system.

Okay, yes, in some cases that is not changeable.
In the imprint system is just another name for what you have so it's probably forcing that on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you suggest removing the PXA-H100, resetting the switches, and seeing if that works?

But that would be the ideal thing to do – to that would be the ideal thing to do – to be able to test the system again without the PXA – H100 in the loop. That will cut down the possibilities tremendously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try it and let you know what happens.

Okay. I know it's a lot of work. Good luck.