Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

I am getting ready to buy a new car stereo immediately. I

Customer Question

I am getting ready to buy a new car stereo immediately. I have great experience with Alpine but am getting convinced by local installers to buy a double DIN Kenwood.
I am confused about what model to buy....out of 4 models
DDX372BT DDX392 DDX492 DDX5901HD
When I compare on line they all seem to have similar features. My wife and I use Iphones (4s at the moment) and Ipods. We want our phones to be the navigation, not the audio unit.
What feature/benefits are provided in the higher priced units I've selected?
Can any of them use "Siri" to we can have voice commands operate the system.
Thanks,
Ed ***-***-****
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
decisions decisions lol;-)
I have worked in a car audio shop in the past, I agree with you on picking Kenwood for this great choice!
Out of all the models you are looking at I would go with the DDX5901HD.
It has all the features you desire and should work fine with your Sirius service as well;-)
Crutchfield also sells this one and here is there info on this, they are really good *****five star.
Hear is the link to that unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX5901/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX5901HD.html?tp=20217
I wish you the best with your new system!
Please rate kindly before you close this page, I will still be here in case you need additional information no additional cost;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your response but I could have picked the most expensive one quickly too. What I am paying for is the benefits that accrue with each of the 4 models I have chosen...Not every feature, but specifically what features are added with each successive model. I have done comparisons on the Internet and there doesn't seem to be much difference in functionality.If you answer the question the way I need it answered, the $16 will be beneficial. At the moment however, you haven't added much value. Sorry.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am sorry , I didn't just pick the most expensive model, its just the one I would choose because this is an important purchase and if I was buying and spending that much on a car stereo I would choose that one due to the features and looks. All of the models you selected are excellent quality but the DDX5901HD is the best and most attractive to me personally. You can go with any of e ones you picked, they all have the features you asked for;-)
As for just picking the most expensive unit...I don't work that way.
But I feel a little upset by that because I strive to make my customers satisfied and you didn't indicate that cost was a factor and they are all pricey;-)
Anyway have a great day and I do wish you the best with your choice they are all very good radios;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last time........For my "expert advice" what are the features that are added to the subsequently more expensive units. At the moment I do not think your answer was responsive to my question, or my clarifying question. So, if you'd like to refund my money, instead of answering what I asked, that would be satisfactory. I am not satisfied at this time.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, all of these unit have basically the same features and will do all you asked about with no problem. I simply prefer the model I suggested for the quality look, and style. Also it uses better lock in circuitry using CMOS technology for FM station reception and also has a better RF audio amp built in.
The features it employs do cost a bit more but aren't user select able feature but all the models you mentioned do exactly the same thing, even while receiving a phone call.
Also when i recommended that model to you I had no idea of the cost or that it was the most expensive unit you asked about lol.
I am an electronic technician and have been for over 30 years and I was simply recommending what I would choose to avoid poor reception etc.
if cost is your concern then you should have mentioned that but the cost difference isn't that much and the more expensive unit is a better one for the reasons I mentioned.
Also I don't receive any credit for my time working with you unless you rate my service as OK or better, still it costs you nothing more to rate.
I am here only to help you make the best decision and enjoy when a customer is happy with the repair service I provide or the purchase they make. I don't want you to be disappointed for any reason is all.
If there is anything else I can help you to understand please be specific and ask me;-)
Thank you for your understanding and patience, I hope you enjoy which ever unit you pick as they are all good.
Please rate my service kindly before closing.
Thank you
Tech Michael