stereoaz
stereoaz, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  35 years in car audio,my shop won iasca world title ,custom fabrication,expert installer.
45259138

I have an auto repair shop and my customer's Alpine CDE-SXM14

Customer Question

Hi, I have an auto repair shop and my customer's Alpine CDE-SXM145BT was playing when it came in. His bluetooth mic wire was broken. We just installed a new mic. Now thr unit comes on,, I can scroll thruogh all the menus andfunctions, but no Audio output under any source. Have reset the reset button andchecked that the POWER IC is in the ON position for the internal amp, but still no sound from any of the four spkrs
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
.
Are you sure you plugged the MIC into the top plug in in the back & not the bottom one which I the Steering Wheel Control Plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we were in the top socket. And we can disconnect the mic plug completely and still get no audio output.from CD, FM etc.
.
Year, Make & Model of Vehicle?
does the vehicle have a separate Amplifier or is the speakers wired directly to the Alpine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No separate amp, that is why we are in the internal Power IC mode.Car is a 74 BMW 2002 . I have probably installed three dozen or more Alpine units in older BMWs with no trouble but this is first time with this model Alpine and first time with Bluetooth.
.
IF the IC is ON, & no sound, then it sounds like an issue with the Unit
I will Opt Out & Relist
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. We sorted it out here, almost accidentally. We noticed noise from the left front speaker when we inadvertently bumped the kick panel in which the front speaker was mounted. We had a look and found the problem. To mount the speaker we must cut the carpet, then the sheet metal kick panel wall, then also an intermediate wall about 1 1/2 inches behind the outer wall. This inner wall does not have to be cut as large a diameter as the outer wall as it just has to be wide enough to clear the magnet end of the speand the connector was making contact with the metal chassis. This is all out of sight as you install the speaker. Apparently the Alpine unit has a feature that shuts off the audio output to all speakers whenever a short is present, probably to avoid damage to the output stage. We bent the connector away from the chassis , added some insulation for good measure, re-installed the speaker and all four speakers came alive and sounded great. We would have looked at this speaker earlier if it had been the only one not working but our problem was that we had no audio from all four speakers.
All's well that ends well.Thanks for trying.