Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a JVC Car radio KD R316. Display panel says PROTECT.

I have a JVC Car radio KD R316. Display panel says PROTECT. Can you help please
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, the displayed error message would be as it implies; the JVC has kicked in auto-protect mode to prevent further damage. Its diagnostics has sensed a fault.

The only easy user tries of a check/fix is to verify that the speakers are within specs and that no stray starnd of speaker wire are touching the car's body or each other.

All others would require pulling out and opening the head unit to effect repairs. Are you considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to a multimeter and a soldering iron? Equally important, could you make use of the Service Manual/schematic diagram?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Manual does not help and it has new speakers. I am unabble to check myself
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
The Service Manual is the repair manual, not the Owner's Manual

If the speakers have been confirmed to be good and the wirings correct and not grounded, then it would be an internal fault on the JVC. Unfortunately, no easy quick fix. The most likely suspect would be the output amplifier IC301, a TB2926CHQ. Fix would then call for de-soldering this IC and soldering in a replacement.

Louie, Car Electronics Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.