Dan, Car Electronics Technician
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Diploma with Database Access
17871496

Im installing an aftermarket jvc radio in a 2005 malibu classic

I'm installing an aftermarket jvc radio in a 2005 malibu classic (base trim level, 2.2l engine, 4 speakers, w/o onstar) and I've run into a serious problem. I originally tried using the correct wiring harness adapter (and antenna adapter) so I could retain the factory plug. The radio powered up just fine, but no sound played on any input. The cd said it was playing but no sound. I unhooked that radio and plugged in a different aftermarket radio I had laying around. It was brand new in the box, but it also had no sound. Then I cut the factory plug off and hardwired the jvc radio according to the wiring diagram for the car... still no sound. I checked and rechecked every connection three times at each of these stages, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. When I still couldn't get sound out of the jvc, I put the factory plug back in and reinstalled the stock radio, but no sound comes out of that either. Are the speakers all run by a fuse somewhere that could have blown? I'm all out of ideas
Category: Car Electronics
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

It sounds like you might have some speaker wires shorting together causing sound drivers in cd players to disable......Because plain and simple if you install a cd player and connect a speaker directly to it, then it shoudl work.....So at this point connect yellw, red, and black wire so it powers up.....Then with all the speaker wires disconnected connect just one speaker......If it works reconnect them one at a time until it stops so you know which circuit has problems. Here is a wire diagram.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could you also provide me with a wiring diagram of the radio harness? I don't know how or why, but I also seem to have lost my instrument panel lights at night, and the dimmer does nothing. It's a malibu classic, which I've been told makes a difference for the wiring harness.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Here are connector views. The dimmer system is controlled by body control module...Try to disconnect battery and touch cables together for 10 seconds to see if that helps.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've got two tan wires, two gray wires, and an orange wire (I've determined that the orange is, in fact, power) that are unaccounted for in the harness connector. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Are your connectors the same? In which cavities of which connectors? Or are you talking about the radio side of the connector or car side of connector?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the wiring harness from the car has the female socket and the plug from the radio has the pins (male)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the wiring harness from the car has the female socket and the plug from the radio has the pins (male). The unaccounted for wires are on the car harness side
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, is the connector in the car the same as the diagram I shown you above? If so, which terminals are these wires in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Scratch that, I found a different diagram online. Next question is about that diagram... it's saying that I have a wire for dimmer and a wire for illumination, and they are gray and brown respectively. Is there a way I could test for proper voltage with the lights turned on vs turned off? I need to restore my instrument panel lights before I do anything else.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

I would start by disconnecting battery and restting body control module to see if that helps. Here is a wire diagram, you can see how dimmer related lights are powered directly by body control module. About all you can do is test dimmer switch, wiring, and if all good replace body control module. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where exactly is it located?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
It is located behind passeiger side trim panel below glovebox on side.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Here is a picture.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if there was a factory amp installed in the car where would that be located?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

This didnt have a optional amplifier......Look on passenger side of trunk behind liner....which would be where the digital radio receiever would be if you dont have base radio.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Or if there are headphone jacks for rear passengers then vehicle has a rear seat audio control module which is somewhat similiar to a amplifier. But either way...with cd player powered on and speaker directly connected it should work.

Edited by Dan on 12/23/2010 at 5:26 PM EST
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Another expert just told me the amplifier is located behind the LH trunk trim panel. It is protected by a 10A fuse labeled "TRUNK REL/RDO AMP" that is located in the driver's side dash endcap fuse panel. Check that fuse.
Dan, Car Electronics Technician
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Diploma with Database Access